Let’s face it; decorating cookies is not as easy as some of the shows on television would make it seem. Cookie decorating can be a very challenging activity. There are some pretty specialized tools that need to be used. If you are interested in learning more about this craft and have a love of baking, then read on to learn all you need to know about decorating with cookies.
Tools Needed for Decorating: -Icing Bag or Cooler -Icing Beads -Cookie Skates or Scissors – chef’s knives or spatulas -large non-stick frying pan or skillet
Icing Bag or Cooler: You’ll need an icing bag or cooler for doing multiple things at once. This means you can do more than one type of decoration at any time. Mix icing ingredients with a large bowl of cool water to create a thick, smooth consistency. Then roll out icing and spread it over the surface of your chosen cookie cutter, or you can use your spatula to create a smooth base for decorations. Once you’ve finished rolling out your icings, remove them from their bag and place them into your cooler. Repeat this process until you run out of icing.
Tools Needed for Buying: -cery bags -stuffed pastry bags -tweeter or wide-toothed comb -large non-stick frying pan or skillet -baking soda or bicarbonate of soda -silver-colored metal spatula or wire cutter -dishcloth or kitchen towels
Tools Needed For Making: -rollers, knife, mixers -large mixing bowls -double boiler or microwave -flat-surface hand blender -waffle maker -non-stick spray cooking spray -non-stick parchment paper -sugar bowl -towel warmer -towel storage set -roller stand -towel drying rack -rolling pin or ring -dishes set including -towels and dish cloths. The icing may be stored in a plastic bag and rolled out or cut using a pastry bag. It is important to have all of your supplies on hand. Sometimes they can be found at a craft store. Another option is to purchase them online, which will allow you to see pictures of what the products look like along with their sizes, so you can make a more informed decision on the supplies you need.
Tips on Decorating: -Keep cool, and use as soon as you can. Clean up any spills as soon as possible, so that your icing does not melt. Keep a sharpened utensil handy, and always have an ingredient or food that you intend to use as a binder in your icing mixture. This way, you can determine when you need to add a little more food or flavor to your icing. Another great tip is to put the icing on a peel-and-stick decorative bag, so that you do not have to worry about ruining your decorating tools.
Tools Needed For Food Baking: -Food. You will also need a mixing bowl, a food processor, a mixer, and some powdered sugar. These can all be purchased at your local grocery or discount store. What you will use these for is mainly to help you mix all of your ingredients. If you plan on making homemade cookies, you can purchase a baking soda to add a bit of extra oomph to your recipe.
Tools Needed For Decorating: -IElements. You will need a large mixing bowl, a pastry bag with a wide opening, and piping bags. A food processor, especially if you plan on making meringue cookies, will come in handy for getting all of your yummy cookies made ready to decorate. If you decide to make a gift cookie, or if you choose to make a Christmas cookie, you should consider using a cookie blender.
Icing Tips and Techniques: This step cannot be included with the list of icing tips. However, if you have never done this before, it is very easy to do. Simply apply your icing to the cake and then roll it over and off the sides of the cake. There are many different techniques you can try, but the icing that is used most often is Wilton’s Magic Whip.
Icing Tips: -Icing Spatulas. You will also need a spatula for applying glazes, glazing bags, and curling tips. There are many other tools you might find useful. In fact, I have two small spatulas I keep in my kitchen for quick icing applications. You will also find other tips that are not included here such as the Magic Line, but that is great for making icings, especially when you use food color schemes.
Cookies Decorating Tools: -Icing Seasoning Kit. There are many different types of icing so you should have plenty of seasoning kits on hand. Make sure you have plenty of plastic containers for storing the ingredients and a mixer for mixing things. You can always go to your favorite grocery store and buy more stuff!
Icing Tips and Techniques: -Icing Bowls. These play an important role when it comes to applying different kinds of glazes. Also, there are a few brushes that can make icing rolls look more professional. Just remember to make them extra thick or they will come out lumpy.
Icing Tips and Techniques: -Icing Spatulas. There are many types of spatulas to choose from. Again, make sure you have enough plastic containers for storing the ingredients and a mixer for mixing things. You can also purchase icing bags at any store that supplies baking supplies. There are even spatula with ice cream scoops!
These are just a few of the many icing tools that you can find when you are looking for what tools are needed for cookie decorating. These basic supplies are all you really need for basic decorating. If you are going to spend more money, buy icing bags or a mixer. They will make decorating easier. Icing can be fun and a great way to decorate any type of cookies.
- How to Decorate Sugar Cookies – You can make 5 super easy Christmas cookies with this extremely easy sugar cookie dough! (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe (With Icing!) – Sugar Spun Run – The BEST Sugar Cookie Recipe with an easy to make cookie frosting. These cookies don’t spread, giving you defined edges! Lots of notes for perfect cookies! (sugarspunrun.com)
- Cookie decorating – Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org)
- How to Decorate Cookies with Royal Icing Like a Pro – Learn how to decorate cookies with royal icing – making it, coloring it and piping it onto cutout sugar cookies! Recipes included. (lifeloveandsugar.com)
- 10 Things I Wish I Knew About Cookie Decorating – The Simple … – New to the wonderful world of cookie decorating? Here are 10 tips to set you up for cookie decorating success! (thesimple-sweetlife.com)
- How To Decorate Cookies with 2-Ingredient Easy Icing – When memory making, not perfection, is your cookie decorating goal, reach for this easy 2-ingredient cookie icing and these ingenious tips. (thekitchn.com)
- Beginners Guide to Cookie Decorating – If you are new to cookie decorating or are looking for helpful tips and videos, this post if for you. It is a complete beginners guide to cookie decorating. (thebearfootbaker.com)
- The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies – Perfect for decorating! These classic sugar cookies are great for cookie-cutting and decorating during the holidays or anytime you feel festive. (allrecipes.com)
- How to Decorate Cookies: A Step-by-Step Guide – Food Network shows you how to use royal icing to create professional-looking, decorated cookies at home with just a few tools and a little imagination. (foodnetwork.com)
- 13 Fun, Festive Christmas Cookie Decorating Ideas – Find plenty of clever cookie decorating ideas to make your Christmas cookies stand out from the rest. (allrecipes.com)
- Cookie Decorating Essentials – Roll, cut, bake, and decorate! Make the prettiest cookies this year with help from our cookie decorating guide. (shop.kingarthurbaking.com)
- 49 Christmas Cookie Decorating Ideas 2020 – How to Decorate … – 16 Nov 2020 … Get festive this Christmas with these three cookie dough recipes and dozens of Christmas cookie decorating ideas. Then, bust out the sprinkles … (goodhousekeeping.com)
- 62 Christmas Cookie Recipes – Decorating Ideas for Sugar Cookies – 21 Sep 2020 … These Christmas cookies will sweeten your holidays! The cookie recipes are delicious and the decorations are easy enough for kids to help. (countryliving.com)
- Cookie and Cake Decorating Tools| Wilton – Shop Wilton cookie and cake decorating tools, including silicone molds, candy molds, cake decorating kits and other baking supplies. (wilton.com)